Working with the media is a core component of our mission. We help journalists get beyond stereotypes to paint an accurate, nuanced portrait of unmarried people. We connect producers to experts as well as ‘regular people’ who are willing to share personal stories. And of course, we articulate advocacy positions as the only national nonprofit organization dedicated to ending discrimination on the basis of marital status and relationship type.
Journalists are invited to join UE’s media mailing list to receive occasional press releases via email.
Key Facts about Unmarried Americans
Did you know:
- There are over 112 million unmarried Americans, representing roughly 47% of the adult population (CPS, 2008).
- Since 2005, the majority of US households have not been headed by married couples. The number of non-married-couple households continues to grow (ACS 2005-2007).
- There are more than 51 million households headed by unmarried Americans, representing roughly 44% of all households and the majority of households in 23 states, plus the District of Columbia (CPS, 2007).
How We Can Help You
We are pleased to work with journalists. We can:
- give interviews and information about timely topics
- provide current statistics and research about unmarried couples, cohabitation, domestic partner benefits, and related topics (including the latest Census data on cohabitation for any city, state, or region)
- often provide phone numbers and email addresses for unmarried people around the country who are willing to be interviewed, from our database of members in all fifty states
- put you in touch with other experts in the field of marriage, cohabitation, and family diversity
- provide an alternative perspective to the marriage movement.
You can reach UE’s staff, founders, and spokespeople through Unmarried Equality at 347-987-1068. If you get voicemail, leave a message and we’ll return your call promptly. Let us know if you are on a deadline.